I learned this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens magazine. I did update some of the ingredients and methods.
These beans make a great side dish, but they are so hearty and filling, that they can even stand as a main! The tangy tomato, sweet onions, salty cheese, and aromatic rosemary turn the humble canned cannelloni bean into a star at your table!
cheesy Italian baked beans
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 head of garlic, diced
- 1- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3- 15 oz cans of cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/4 c freshly grated parmesan cheese
- crushed red pepper
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 c freshly grated Fontina cheese
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook onion, garlic, and a pinch of the salt until onion is translucent. Add the tomatoes and half of the rosemary. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and cook uncovered until the mixture thickens slightly, (about 5 minutes.)
Add beans and half of the parmesan to the skillet. Stir to combine until the parmesan is completely incorporated. Season with crushed red pepper, salt, and black pepper to taste.
Pour beans into a 2 qt. baking dish. Sprinkle the rest of the parmesan and fontina cheese, and then rosemary on top.